Pages

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Just a Dog.


Hey, you are just a dog. How is it that you, the whole 10 lbs of you, could excavate this dormant capacity to grow? Two drifting spirits, somewhat broken and restless and curious, canine and human meet and begin the awkward adjustments of a new relationship. You needed me to trust, I needed you to care. You needed me to care, I needed you to trust. You, you can't even talk, and yet you pulled me from the sofa, pulled me from inside of myself and took me outside and taught me the delicacies of observation-the cycles of a crop, the very quiet shifts in the air, the families and behaviors of hawks, cranes, skunks, and foxes. You extract daily laughter and are made known in a once very still home. You let me hold you in a way I have needed to hold and love you in a way I have needed to love. You, all 10 lbs of you, have brought me to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment